Why Not Insurance or EAPs?
I have been asked many times, "Why can't you take my insurance or my EAP?" There are many reasons why I choose not to accept either:
- They require that I spend hours doing paperwork to file for you OR to hire a processor to do it for me. Naturally, I have to pay that processor.
- They are notoriously difficult to deal with and I may not be paid for months.
- Their fees to clinicians are lower than I can afford to accept.
- Some insurance and EAP companies somehow manage to find the smallest reason to not pay clinicians in a timely manner or at all.
- The client MUST be given a diagnosis (DX) that is considered "billable". Many common issues that people seek counseling for are not considered to be on the "billable" list. No billable DX, no payment.
- Once the client has a formal diagnosis, that DX will follow you the rest of your life.
- Having a formal DX can possibly create issues in finding future jobs or getting insurance.
I hope this helps explain why I accept sliding scale only. Because I do not accept insurance, I do not issue HCFA billing forms. I am able to give you a Super Bill with your diagnosis, session fee and date on it. It will be the client's responsibility to fill out the rest of the information. You must let me know at the time of each visit if you would like a Super Bill. I am unable to spend time searching my calendar for multiple session dates after the fact.
I appreciate your understanding in this matter.
9025 Overlook Blvd. Suite 200 Brentwood, TN 37027